One of the finest architectural structures of Bhutan is the impressive Rinpung Dzong, more commonly known as the Paro Dzong. The name of this renowned Dzong literally translates to ‘’Fortress on a Heap of Jewels’. Surrounded by the scenic beauty, this marvellous Dzong has a long history and is of significant traditional importance.
The Dzong was constructed in 1644 on order of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and has historically contributed significantly in defending the Paro Valley. The white washed walls and golden, red and black painted and carved wood add to the elegance and royalty of the architecture. It is also the site of the famous masked dance of Tsechu festival of Paro.